We are in the process of updating our sermon library on the website.
While most of our most recent sermons have now been uploaded, some are limited to only the audio versions
We are working on getting all of the sermons uploaded in a video format, but we are not quite there yet
Thank you for your patience!
In the meantime . . . if you can't find the sermon you are looking for below yet,
you can view many of the sermons preached at Calimesa on Vimeo,
or view the entire service by going to our Livestream archives
The sermons are also podcast on itunes at Calimesa SDA Church - Sermons
You may also wish to view our preaching schedule (with links to supplemental material) here.
Prayer is the opening of the heart to God
as to a friend,
Not that it is necessary
in order to make known to God what we are,
But in order to enable us to receive Him.
Prayer does not bring God down to us,
but brings us up to Him.
-Ellen White, Steps to Christ, 93.
Prayer Requests If you have a prayer request you would like to share with the pastoral staff or our prayer ministry team, you can submit your request by clicking here.
If you would like to present a request to our Prayers for Squares Quilt ministry, you can do so by clicking here. (Prayers for Squares makes quilts for people in need of prayer. Church members are invited to tie a knot on the quilt as they pray, and the quilt is presented as a reminder that they are wrapped in the prayers of our church family).
Starting off the day prayerfully reflecting on a passage of scripture . . .
Taking some time at the end of the day
to think about how God has been with you through the day . . .
Planning ways to be in the scriptures, or in prayer,
or in acts of compassion or service to others throughout the day . . .
Being part of a small group,
or perhaps benefiting from the contributions of those
who have been over the path before you . . .
. . . there are many ways that you can continue to grow
in your relationship with God - and add depth to your walk.
Here are a list of resources that may help to enrich your journey (not listed in any particular order)
- The One Project - Jesus. All.
- Daily Devotional from the Boulder SDA Church
- Great Quotes from SDA Church Leaders on Spiritual Life
- The testimony of Carlyle B. Haynes
- Selected Quotes from the Writings of Ellen White
- Comments by Ellen White on appreciating God's presence in the natural world
- And of course of Ellen White's classic works on Spiritual life include:
- Dybdahl, Jon L., Hunger: Satisfying the Longing of Your Soul, Review and Herald Publishing Association, 2008.
Click on the Links Below to enjoy some 4-5 minute video devotionals:
Jesus invites us worship God will all our heart, mind, and strength.
Worship is not just a matter of how we feel, or a decision we make to believe something we've been told, but it also involves making sense out of what we believe. One person has said, "My heart cannot rejoice in what my mind rejects" which is why we believe that honoring God and His Word involves bringing the best thought, research, and our collective wisdom to the task.
In a world where technology has made it possible for anyone to publish anything, some have observed that while readily available "information" can seem like it is a thousand miles wide, it is too often only about a quarter of an inch deep, and sometimes also reflects poor scholarship and misinformation. So, with that in mind, what we've tried to do here is provide you with links to some of the better, more helpful, resources as you honor God by worshiping with all your heart, strength, and your mind as well. This, of course, is not an exhaustive or infallible list, but it is a good place to start.
Some Current Topics / Issues You May Have Questions About:
Spiritual Formation and the Controversy Surrounding it
- The Great Spiritual Formation Kerfuffle (2012 article sketching how this became an issue for so many)
- Three Fictitious Conversations about Spiritual Formation
- What is a Mystic? - Adventist Review Article
- My God and I - Special Issue of the Adventist Review
- Christian Spirituality in a Post Modern World - Adventist Review Article
- Spiritual Formation: A Rose by Any Other Name
- A Recent Article Concerning Walla Walla University and Spiritual Formation
- Spirituality: Biblical & Non-Biblical:(part 1) Ministry article by Jon Dybdahl
- Spirituality: Biblical & Non-Biblical (part 2) Ministry article by Jon Dybdahl
- How Does Your Spiritual Life Grow? Ministry articles by Dan Apell
Women in Ministry
- The Unique Headship of Christ in the Church (A Statement of the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary)
- A Short History of the Headship Doctrine in the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- What Does the Scripture say About Women?
- Selected Reading List
- Biblical Questions on Women and Ministry
- 5 Reasons to Stop Using 1 Timothy 2:12 Against Women
- Pacific Union Conference Letter re: Women in Ministry
- North American Division Response to General Conference Compliance Document
- Explanation of North American reaction to General Conference Compliance Document
- Helpful analysis of where the Church Actually is on the topic of Women's Ordination
Social and Relational Issues
Bible Study / Hermeneutics
- Biblical Hermeneutics 101
- Hermeneutics and Slavery - Adventist Review Article 2016
- Ways to Read the Bible (1982 Issue of Spectrum)
- Thinking Theologically
- Reading Scripture
- Proving More Than Intended
- ATS Hermeneutic - Ray Cottrell
- Good Bibliography
- See Also Alden Thompson's book "Inspiration" (currently out of print, but available at most libraries and a few used book stores - one of the best books on the topic)
- For a look at how Adventist doctrinal beliefs developed from a historial perspective see "A Search for Identity: The Development of Seventh-day Adventist Beliefs" by George R. Knight. An excellent and quite readable overview.
- *Interpreting Ellen White's Writings